Saturday, July 09, 2005

New Terms



Hominophobic - fear of the opposite gender
Philophobic - fear of love

I learnt those terms from a friend of mine. *grin*

I wonder how does a person know when he/she is actually emotionally ready for a relationship? Not just casual flings but a serious "looking for a life partner" kind of relationship. Because if you're not emotionally ready, you'll only end up hurting yourself, and worse still, others.
I get depressed whenever I think about this. I guess they are my own demons.
_____________________________________________

Courtship is like a two-choice gamble. There are some who weigh the odds and gamble according to the most probable choice to minimise hurt for if the odds are against you and there's a high chance that your courtship may fail, why bother trying when you probably would end up failing and getting hurt?
There are others I've learnt, who take such a scenario differently. Even though the odds may be against them, they will still prefer to do their best, thereby allowing their feelings to be vulnerable, so that they will have no regrets even if they get burnt in the end. People may think they are foolish for it is akin to walking straight into unecessary heartache. However, these foolish people would counter-argue, saying hey, the odds may change in the future! Who know what the future holds anyway? If that person chooses someone over me, at least I know I've tried my best and I will have no regrets, rather than spending the rest of my life immersed in 'what ifs'. There is a driving force which makes these people so courageous - they believe that the person whom they are chasing is worth the gamble.

I'm amazed that in this world where science and logic dominate, such passion and 'foolish' courage still exist which make life worth living for.

Agape.

4 Comments:

Blogger taiwanite said...

I think i'm philophobic.

But then you would be too, if she went around hitting you all the time.

9/7/05 1:42 am  
Blogger NN said...

heyhey...
I guess the phrase tt comes to mind would be Love make fools of us all. Read/heard somewhere recently tt if u're not willing to be a fool then it prob aint love. heh. I find it really true.
I guess in a sense i'm kinda philophobic too. And the more effort n all u put in, you more vulnerable you make yourself, which of cos increases the chances tt'll get hurt. I'm aware of all tt. But when I end up liking someone, all these theory doesn't seem to shake me back into reality. I don't know why. Love's like a drug I tell you!
Anyway, I'm sure you watched Batman right. think they mentioned something about falling. we'll fall, just have to pick ourselves up. to avoid falling, shd we not walk then? heh. i'm seldom this optimistic...enjoy it! :p

9/7/05 1:46 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

taiwanite:
LOL... well, in that case, there are CERTAIN guys that SHOULD be philophobic then... *grin* *^^*

nick-net-toe:
"if u're not willing to be a fool then it prob aint love."
come to think of it, it does make a lot of sense! =) yah i agree, i think love gives you the extra courage to do things you never dream you could do.
Thanks!

9/7/05 11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha interesting stuff you got there, courtship and love...something which i've recently talked about and almost blogged about it yesterday! how do you know if you're emotionally ready? how do you know if he/she is the one? well, all i can say and attest to is that...you just know! =)
markG

9/7/05 11:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home